Does your child have difficulty organizing, planning and carrying out goals? When executing plans, can your child think flexibly?
Children who have difficulty with executive functioning have trouble thinking about, developing and carrying out action plans to achieve goals. They may also struggle with emotional and behavioral self-regulation which is necessary to follow through with goal-oriented tasks.
Children need to be flexible to develop, adjust and complete the steps required to accomplish goals. Problems with cognitive flexibility are common in children with executive functioning challenges. We offer small group or individual instruction to improve regulation, cognitive flexibility, planning, organization, and time management skills.
Signs of executive functioning impairment include:
Trouble following directions, often forgetting what to do next
Frequently raises a hand in class but is unable to remember the answer when called upon
- Trouble mastering simple classroom tasks, like finding things in a cubby
- Often provides off-topic answers to questions during group time
- Trouble expressing thoughts in an organized, sequential manner
- Difficulty telling a story (verbally or in writing)
- Difficulty memorizing and accessing information
- Gets distracted without completing original task
- Focuses on the least important thing that is said
- Mixes up assignments and doesn’t bring home school materials
- Trouble initiating activities and/or developing ideas without help
- Insists on doing things a certain way and has difficulty making adjustments
- Panics when rules or routines are changed
- Sticks with a plan even when it’s clear that the plan isn’t working
Therapy to address Executive Functioning helps children set, plan, execute and complete goals. By improving time management and organizational skills as well as the ability to adjust plans when needed, students gain confidence and increase productivity.
*Please do not include confidential information in your message. One of our professionals will respond within 48 hours.